Thursday, August 25, 2011

NOTD: applevein franken - Harry Potter - I Speak Mermish

Some time ago, applevein on the MUA board put up some gorgeous Harry Potter frankens she’d made, and she was so wonderfully kind about letting me have some to try out!!! So last week I see a package addressed to me, smell nail polish, and open it with a fury that would have shamed any toddler at Christmas.





My god, they are so beautiful, aren’t they?! I wasn’t able to apply any at the time, so I set them on my desk where I could see them when I came home on the weekend from work, planning which one I would try first! Tuesday I got home, had some breakfast, removed my work mani, and got busy, ha! I haven’t really worn any heavy glitters, so please keep that in mind when reading my opinions; this polish is pretty much being compared against the polishes I’ve otherwise worn.

This blue. Oh my lord, this blue. It’s so soothing and sweet, not a ‘little boy’ kind of blue, but something magical, whch really fits in with the Harry Potter theme applevein did. This dazzling beauty is named “I Speak Mermish”, and very fittingly so. Traditionally, mermaids seem to have a salt water habitat, which you would think had a bit darker blues and some greens in there. The colors that applevein used seem to represent more mythical than marine mermaids, belonging to rivers and landlocked lakes, a very good choice of representation for the HP merfolk. Though so very bluetiful, you can also see sparkles of lavender, silver, and a teensy bit of green. Fabulous cooling for my skin tone, I think, and eye catching in practically any light.

Application was a little difficult, initially because I couldn’t figure out how thick to make the swipe, as you can see by the differences in one coat:



Adding a second coat, thin as it may be, really helped cover the nail incredibly. I also had a few mini-spots I missed, and one I smudged pretty bad, but never fear! The glitter was so wonderfully thick that it was easy to do a quick spot-application on those areas, without messing up the whole mani:



Because the polish did not flow very easily (I’m not sure if adding more clear NP thinner now would be best), I did have a couple of smudges on my skin. As I had just gotten back home from work, I let it dry a bit (it felt like it was drying SUPER fast, a definite bonus), and passed out until evening, as I had a Great Dane club meeting to get to. Before I got in the shower, I was going to use some nail polish remover for the booboos (I want to use it up before I get some pure acetone + glycerin), but was amazed to see the stuff on my skin just peeled right off, ripping where the nail part was, making it one of the fastest and easiest cleanups I’ve ever handled :D I just did a little spot treatment on the cuticles, but not having pure acetone, didn’t bother with worry about a gap. The thicker formula is actually just fine how it is, hahaha!

Used two top coats of China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat, and it smoothed OK enough that I wouldn’t keep messing with them all night :] I used another top coat layer the next morning, and it’s only a little bumpy, which I like to feel for :D! I was told on the MUA board to try a coat of Gelous over the glitter, and then a top coat to get super smooth, so I may have to try that later on, just to see how it works. This is the up to date mani, wearing nicely despite having my hands in water a lot as I clean out my fish tanks (how fitting!):



So to finish, I must say I am beyond excited about these nail polishes, and the one I tried was a total winner! I’m only supposed to wear tans, corals, pinks, and reds at work... but I am super tempted to take this over the next work weekend, just because it is SO beautiful! Well, maybe at least Friday night >] Very excited to try the other two NPs, but again, I do not want to take this off, so they are going to have to wait until next week, heh heh. This does mean I will have to google the foil method, because I’ve only heard it’s good for glitters, not exactly how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment